Update on Website Search Functionality

Previously noted in this post, searching for tickers on the site was not ideal because password-protected posts were excluded from the results.

I have now been able to modify this functionality. Now all posts, regardless of whether they are protected or not, will show up in the results.

And just one quick note on the search feature: I deliberately precede all tickers throughout this website when I employ them with a dollar sign ($). Using that in the search field will help to eliminate unexpectedly wide results in some instances (for example, using “EEM” will return all posts in which I also use the word “seem,” etc., whereas using “$EEM” will limit those results to posts in which I am discussing the MSCI Emerging Markets ETF).

Tags for US Indices Are Now Consolidated

I’ve made an adjustment to how I tag posts that discuss the US indices. Previously, if I was dealing with a chart on $SPY, I would simply give it that tag. Same with $ES, etc. It was more or less chart specific. But, of course, that introduced a strange problem: if someone were looking for information on the S&P 500, regardless of the underlying instrument they were seeking information for in particular, clicking on one of those tags (in a post) or in the ticker list (in the sidebar), would end up giving them only a partial set of posts that ultimately all dealt with the same index. In order to get all the information available about that index, they would ultimately have to click through all links to $SPY, then $ES, then $SPX. And that is sort of absurd.

So, I’ve consolidated the way I tag them all. The links in the sidebar are now conglomerates, so they now are: “$SPY-$ES-$SPX,” “$QQQ-$NQ-$NDX,” “$IWM-$RTY-$RUT,” “$DIA-$YM-$DJIA,” and clicking on any of those conglomerates returns all posts on those respective indices. And clicking on any component (e.g., “$SPY“) within a post has the same effect.

This is something that’s bugged me for a little while now, and I hope this new method makes locating information easier.

A Note on Website Search Functionality

As it turns out (I had to do some digging to be certain), it is a default feature of WordPress to exclude password-protected posts from the search results. Thus, if you search for a ticker using the search tool at the top, you will not see, in the results, posts that are “active” and “protected.”

I believe there is a way to modify this feature, and I am in the process of comprehending the necessary code adjustments that may be necessary.

In the meantime, using the ticker list on the left sidebar will deliver to you a list of all posts for a given ticker, including password-protected ones.

I will let you know when I have this resolved.

Goodbye Tag Cloud, Hello Custom Ticker List

I was facing a bit of a looming problem. I like the idea of a Tag Cloud, but there was one serious threat: while one may create as many tags as one wishes, the Tag Cloud limits the number made visible to 100. And I cover more instruments than that. Eventually, not all of the instruments I cover would be accessible on the sidebar and they would have to be searched for manually.

Well where there’s a will, there’s a way and I instead opted for a manual custom option that groups the tickers into several categories (stocks, indices, metals, etc.). Doing this provides me with a limitless option, and by grouping them as I have, I hope finding charts on the site becomes even easier.

When I introduce a new ticker that I have not yet made a post for, I have only to copy and paste a big block of code that is automatically generated from my list of instruments (locally, on my computer) and it will add it into the sidebar. So, fairly straightforward, and as time progresses, I will have to do that less and less often as I continue to populate the site with content.

Perhaps at some point I will have to divide the Stocks & ETFs section into several subgroups (“A-F,” “G-M,” etc.), but that will be very straightforward once the time comes.

What to Expect During the First Couple of Weeks on This Site

Now that I have completed the basic look, feel and functionality of the new website, it’s high time to fill it with some content.

As many of you know, for all of Twitter’s benefits, locating past content is not among them. I often post charts with predictions that have some duration, perhaps in terms of weeks or months, and that work gets almost immediately buried. To find such work, one either has to do an obnoxious amount of scrolling or specialized searching using the not immediately intuitive advanced search feature Twitter makes available.

By moving content here, I can enable people to find the work far more easily. And, I have the added benefit of being able to discuss the trades with a little more elaboration than I can on Twitter due to their character limit.

So, what I’ll do over the next few days is post many of the trade ideas that I have for a variety of stocks, and you should see those beginning to populate the site soon.

Lastly, I hope I have worked out most of the obvious initial technical kinks, but if you observe website behavior that you would not normally expect, please do alert me so that I can look into it.